FightVideoLetter:
FORUM | VIDEOS | TALK

Dominick Cruz vs Cody Garbrandt

MMA + Boxing + Kickboxing is merged. MMA Fight Videos, Free UFC Videos, Interviews, Highlights, Weigh-Ins, Previews, ... EMBED or link to source site! Do not start Spoiler-TOPICS!
_IronPig_
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Re: Dominick Cruz vs Cody Garbrandt

Postby _IronPig_ » Dec 31. 2016, 23:58

That was an awesome fight. Cody's patience and timing were key factors in his victory. Dominic just happened to get outclassed this fight, and what compounded his steady retreat on the scorecards (IMO) was his nonexistent ground game. The accidental head butt that supposedly caused the cut over Cruz's eye is debatable at best. The judges did their jobs tonight and Cody came out on top with the belt. Was an awesome fight to watch!

hitman
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby hitman » Jan 1. 2017, 00:06

iron pig , Rogan was wrong it wasn't a headbutt it was Cody's awesomeness that caused the cut

_IronPig_
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby _IronPig_ » Jan 1. 2017, 00:19

That's what I was saying...yes there was a headbutt, but it wasn't the cause of the gash over Cruz's eye like Joe said...making it debatable. Still a great contest between two humble world class fighters. I'm happy for Cody, and would love to see a rematch.

medicineeng
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby medicineeng » Jan 1. 2017, 01:22

Dominick was beaten in his own game.

Amazing, never expected that someone would be able to keep with Dominick's speed and quirkiness, but I was wrong.
Congrats to the new champion.
The lunatic will lead the blind
ADF

justinblakegoodman
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby justinblakegoodman » Jan 1. 2017, 02:45

This was simply wild to watch.

stonecoyote
MIDDLEW. CHAMP
MIDDLEW. CHAMP

Postby stonecoyote » Jan 1. 2017, 05:31

WOW, didn't see that goin the way it did, Cody brought it n walked away with the strap, good on ya Cody,

Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Robert223 » Jan 1. 2017, 08:12

Soo...Dillashaw vs Garbrandt and Cruz vs Lineker?  :fb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQ0V8TcyvY&list=PLCEE01064AF877F81

Dendra
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby Dendra » Jan 1. 2017, 08:31

thundertiger wrote:
Dendra wrote:Guys, I've got a theory - Cruz wasn't 100% that night, at times looking like your typical brawler, etc. He says he was at his best, not injured and such, BUT Cruz is also a master tactician and it may vary well be that he wants his competition to underestimate him and judge him based on this performance.

He did look like age was catching up to him in the pre-fight interviews, so not sure if it's him aging or as I suspect some undisclosed injury that made him slow down (I'd bet my money on plantar fasciitis). In any case, he lost fair and square, not really sure what's left for him to do - should've retired after beating TJ to keep his mystique as the most dominant & elusive fighter of his era.

I don't think its the end of the road for him at all. But he might not be a champ again. I'd be interested to see him at 145 he wouldn`t be undersized at feather weight and there are some interesting fights for him there. 
I'm not sold on your theory Den. He seemed fine and the fact that Cody didn`t chase him made it look as if Cruz was slower than usual. 
He`s never been lightning fast it`s more a case of he is already moving when his opponents come forward so he`s not just reacting, he`s already decided what direction he`s going to exit after his strikes. 

Some excellent points and I agree absolutely. My theory on Dom playing possum is just that, a  fun theory, especially after watching the fight I've gotta agree that he didn't seem slower or anything, just that Cody was more patient.

It seems like TAM made gradual progression towards beating Cruz - Faber was the first one not to bite on his feints, but Cody managed to read Cruz, avoid his punches and hit Cruz - there was an exchange in the middle of the fight where Cody wasn't protecting himself at all from kicks, knowing Cruz was gonna enter a boxing exchange, which was pretty impressive because he looked wide open to anything else.
Real mean beats fake nice on any given day.

yodelling
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby yodelling » Jan 1. 2017, 09:00

Dendra wrote:Some excellent points and I agree absolutely. My theory on Dom playing possum is just that, a  fun theory, especially after watching the fight I've gotta agree that he didn't seem slower or anything, just that Cody was more patient.

It seems like TAM made gradual progression towards beating Cruz - Faber was the first one not to bite on his feints, but Cody managed to read Cruz, avoid his punches and hit Cruz - there was an exchange in the middle of the fight where Cody wasn't protecting himself at all from kicks, knowing Cruz was gonna enter a boxing exchange, which was pretty impressive because he looked wide open to anything else.

Cody had actually better angles and sharper boxing than Cruz. The unusual number of kicks thrown by Cruz is the greatest pointer in that direction, once he realized he couldn't close the distance and show up behind Cody's guard (because Cody was masterfully cutting angles whenever Cruz tried to feint his way in), he tried to strike from the outside much unlike his usual self.

You can actually see his demeanor change leading up to the cut, Cruz didn't look desperate, but he looked like a fighter who just found out his gameplan would take him nowhere in the fight. More than anything, he looked clueless as the fight progressed. I guess he was as surprised as we were about Cody's skills :D
FOTY
1) Woodley vs Thompson; 2) Lawler vs Condit; 3) Weidman vs Romero; 4) Choi vs Swanson 5) Lineker vs Dodson; 6) Duffy vs Poirier; 7) Hendricks vs Thompson; 8) McG vs Diaz 2; 9) Ferguson vs Vannata; 10) McGregor vs Diaz; 11) Medeiros vs Trinaldo

thundertiger
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby thundertiger » Jan 1. 2017, 10:30

yodelling wrote:
Dendra wrote:Some excellent points and I agree absolutely. My theory on Dom playing possum is just that, a  fun theory, especially after watching the fight I've gotta agree that he didn't seem slower or anything, just that Cody was more patient.

Cody had actually better angles and sharper boxing than Cruz. The unusual number of kicks thrown by Cruz is the greatest pointer in that direction, once he realized he couldn't close the distance and show up behind Cody's guard (because Cody was masterfully cutting angles whenever Cruz tried to feint his way in), he tried to strike from the outside much unlike his usual self.

You can actually see his demeanor change leading up to the cut, Cruz didn't look desperate, but he looked like a fighter who just found out his gameplan would take him nowhere in the fight. More than anything, he looked clueless as the fight progressed. I guess he was as surprised as we were about Cody's skills :D

Absolutely. For me the sea change was at the end of the very first round. Cruz shot his favourite takedown, the sneaky knee tap corner turn one, and Cody reversed him beautifully. When they got back to their feet Cruz looked pissed and frustrated. 
He had a great round 2 but within the opening seconds of round 3 Garbrandt landed the kick that opened him up. 
Garbrandt appears to be light years better than anyone of us or the media gave him credit for. Cruz has an anvil for a chin too. This is my foty. Loved it. As much for the skill displayed as the shock of the result. 
What a sport. 
"Hulk smashed!."

T-Dizzle
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby T-Dizzle » Jan 1. 2017, 11:58

Great fight! Cruz didn't look himself in this fight but I give credit to Cody for executing a great game plane. And new!!!

Tillyboi
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby Tillyboi » Jan 1. 2017, 15:44

Wow, didn´t see this coming....migth be the upset of the year, besides Rockhold vs Bisping nothing else comes to mind right now.

fightfanVA
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby fightfanVA » Jan 1. 2017, 20:00

The Decisionator finally met his match.  I didn't care much for Cody's taunting in the ring, but he fought a near-perfect match.  Maybe as good as is possible against someone so elusive as Cruz.  Very happy for Team Alpha Male.

jojoclown777
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby jojoclown777 » Jan 1. 2017, 20:05

Did anyone else have Cruz winning that? I'm definitely pro-Cruz, even tho he's a c-word, but I can't help but score it 3-2.

Cody's game plan was f'ing perfect though.

Return to “MMA VIDEOS”

Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript![ LOGIN HERE ]